Wednesday, June 16, 2010

1:3 mini mooncakes, and a kinda-sorta lizard-frog.....

a new commission calls for some mini mooncakes in 1:3. i decided to make a mold since i will be making a cut version, and thought i might also offer it on my etsy once i get some time to make stock and list items. i didn't have a mooncake mold, and so had to make it from scratch. the base was first made, baked, then the petals individulally put into place, and finally squished a ball of clay into the centre. the snowskin mooncake required translucent clay, and i opted to use FIMO translucent white since it bakes whiter than KATO does, and also will result in a fine matte finish. i dusted the mold with cornstarch before pressing in the ball of clay. since it was a test mooncake, i pressed in the 'cherry' colour and filling to see if it would show through the skin layer, i guess it does ^ ^ am so pleased with it, it really does look edible :O oh yeah, mooncake festival is nearing, right???


and here is my contest entry for the alien competition over on http://teammidscompetitions.blogspot.com/! thank you to those who voted for me, whether you knew it was mine or not ;) i voted for the aliens at the zoo because it made me chuckle real hard, i have been rather a softy lately for pets, probably cos i recently took Eva to the vet XD anyway.....here's the other 2 pics i submitted to show the detail.





i originally wanted to put more scales on her legs, but given that i only had time to make her during the extended deadline period of 2 days, i couldn't complete her as i ran out of clay :( her scales were made using a mix of leftover clay from my sushi and cucumber canes XD and since my oven was too small, i kept burning her feet, it was awkward placing her in position and i guess her toes must have touched the top heating element :(


see :( sadness.



 bf said he preferred the bulbous toes, and i guess they were more appropriate since i made the bulbous fingers first....i just liked the idea of clawed toes.........




T_T le sigh. had to snip off her feet ahhhh~~~!!! headless and footless!!!! XD


anyway. i also gave her chest a bit of detail to resemble something like...actually i donno. i -think- it looks 'cracked-shell-like'.

been a busy week, and i'll be even busier for the next month or so. am working on some 1:3/1:4 commissions, Dale is coming down to Singapore, have to plan out the lesson plans and tools/materials for when i start giving classes (prob July-Aug) etc...and i'm sure i'm forgetting many more items on the to-do list. dangit i really should use my whiteboard now that i have one....oh and i cut my hair, took about 8 inches off :O :O :O wanted to start swimming again, and decided after bf's observation that i was going bald (the final straw really) that the long hair was really, REALLY such a nuisance. see, the thing is, it's never about having the short, or the long hair, but the IN BETWEEN LENGTH hair..

i'll try and make the next post a more technical one regadring challenges of working in various scales from 1:3 down to 1:48. i don't care if nobody's interested, i am, and i do so enjoy thinking to myself........*taps chin*.......

9 comments:

  1. Oh I love your lizard-what-ever - voted for him/her in the contest :) I love the facial expression you've done, it's fab!

    And you have fab time with Dale, don't I envy her :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy, I had no idea what a mooncake was but, thanks to your blog and Wikipedia, I do now. Yours look fantastic, and I would definitely make a mold of that because it sounds like a real pita to make, lol.
    And your alien!!!! OMG!!! LOL, I love her. The scales are awesome. I guess I missed this alien contest vote, so I didn't vote (sorry).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very interested in your mould work. I haven't tried any yet as i am a real fimo beginner but I find your site very inspirational and I always learn something new.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha IRA! thank you! i didn't know what gender it would be until i started on her mouth and scales, and somehow as i worked 'she' emerged, with her gentle smile. i don't want a creepy alien staring back at me! so it became a She ^ ^ ahhh 6 days to Dale arriving!!!!

    Kristy, i posted this late last night and although it occurred to me for the briefest moment that i might have to add a link describing what mooncakes were, my sleepy mind slipped XD i'll go edit the post later :D snow skin mooncakes are YUMMEH! the skin is a slightly stretchier and less sweet version of marzipan, very fragrant too! i tried making one in 1:12 but failed, i'll try again when i have more time hee hee don't worry about not voting, i very nearly missed participating in the contest even! XD

    you're welcome Janice :) feel free to browse around and also do check out the links to the right, especially the glassattic polymer clay encyclopedia, i totally LOVE that site! (although it may be a tad outdated...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the moon cakes and your alien is so detailed and so whimsical! She doesn't look scary--just curious!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  6. totally love those mooncakes !! they look so delicious !!

    i really love your work, love the details !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you made the lizard?? thats awesome! and love the mooncakes and the video you showed me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lizard? This is the most unrealistic lizard or frog ..LOL! But as GAIA, 100%! :) The mooncake too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Sweetie!! I so enjoyed seeing your alien in person. :) It is so much better looking in person and while I'm not an alien lover ;) I really loved her! She's awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to comment! :D